- blog as often as I can
- waste less, go greener
- minimalize, cherish experiences more than material objects
- grow closer to God
- finish & publish Green Vigilante
- start Red Vigilante
- be healthier
- read more
- make more youtube videos
- try harder in my classes
- volunteer more
- stop talking about people without their presence unless it’s good things
- learn another language
- make more playlists
If you deem yourself to be a part of the writing world (like me) but have not yet read Lionel Shriver’s speech on current day identity politics and the way that they have the potential to impact fiction writing (I just read it), I highly recommend reading it here. It’s very powerful and has many good points.
I just recently published my debut novel, Blue Vigilante, with CreateSpace (a post on the self-publishing journey to come!). Actually, I just published yesterday. The last 24 hours, after the physical copy of BV was done, I’ve spent frustrated over trying to make a Kindle edition of the book. So, after hours (yes, hours) of searching the internet for an answer, I’ve decided to compile my knowledge into one post with everything on it for anybody else who struggles with what I went through.
HOW TO FORMAT YOUR BOOK TO PUBLISH ON KINDLE*
To be honest, it doesn’t really matter what your page size is. Go with whatever you’re comfortable with. This was the first mistake I made. I tried to resize my entire book, which is 375 6×9 inch pages, to fit the size of a Kindle screen. DON’T do that. Kindle isn’t just a device, it’s also an app which means that the size CHANGES depending on the device used.
Don’t fit your book to the Kindle, fit Kindle to your book.
Format your book however you would normally. For me that just meant putting my chapter headings in the center, for example:
Or making sure that my little section separators were centered as well.
Each book is different and unique, so each format will be different and unique as well.
This is where I struggled the most. No matter how many times I clicked “return” I could not get my pages to be correctly spaced in the preview (ALWAYS check the preview). I struggled so much here because I was too busy focusing on the page size, rather than the tricks I could use to outsmart technology.
If you want to separate one page from the next, do not hit the “return” button, always hit page break. This is located under the “Insert” tab at the top of Word. I have both a PC and a Mac and I checked; it’s located in the same area on both devices.
It will look weird and you will question the formatting. I did. Several times. But trust me, once it’s uploaded onto Kindle Direct Publishing, it will look fine in the previewer. I went through all 375 pages of my book, just to be sure. (I recommend you do the same and double check that your computer listened to you.)
Good luck publishing! Let me know in the comments if you found this article helpful at all.
*This post is not made for image-heavy books, I would search the internet specifically about images.
As a writer, I thoroughly believe that keeping a journal is important. Journaling exercises our minds and our handwriting, along with keeping records (regardless of what our journal is about). This year, 2016, will be my fourth year journalling!
A few days ago, I was scrolling through Tumblr and found this. I plan on doing it this year, to continue my journaling, and thought that I’d share it with you all!
365 Day Journal Challenge
- What is your number one goal this year?
- What are you most grateful for?
- Are you content?
- What is your best memory of last year?
- Can people change?
- What made you smile today?
- Who last called you on the phone?
- Who are you in love with?
- The best part of today was______
- What’s the hardest thing you’re dealing with?
- Today I wish I had more _____
- What made today unusual?
- What are you looking for from life?
- Who is the last people to tell you they loved you?
- What is your favorite piece of art you own?
- Whats the last thing you apologized for?
- On a scale of 1-10 how is your health?
- If you could do today over, would you change anything?
- I wish I had _____
- Last think you wanted but didn’t get.
- What mood were you in today?
- What was the last new thing you tried?
- My biggest hope is ______
- What has challenged your morals?
- What kind of car are you driving?
- List your pets.
- Today I felt really secure knowing ______
- Whose life did you make a difference in today?
- What is your super power?
- What is annoying you?
- What would have made today perfect?
- What stresses you?
- Your relationship status and how you feel about it.
- Where you’d like to be in ten years.
- Your views on drugs and alcohol.
- What is your zodiac sign? Does it fit your personality?
- What do you hope your future will be like?
- Write about your first love.
- Put your iPod on shuffle and write down the first ten songs that pop up.
- What were your highs and lows of the past year?
- Write a letter to your parents.
- Write a letter to your reflection in the mirror.
- Write a letter to someone who broke your heart.
- How important do you think education is?
- List five celebrities that you’re attracted to.
- What is your favorite movie? What is it about?
- What kind of person attracts you?
- A problem that you’ve had.
- Someone/something you miss.
- Someone who fascinates you and why?
- Who would you love to trade places with for a day and why?
- What is your most treasured item?
- Your biggest insecurity.
- Something that you want to do before you die.
- What is something that makes your heart break?
- Something that you’re extremely afraid of.
- What food are you craving right now?
- What was the last dream you remember about?
- A habit you wish you didn’t have.
- Describe the room you’re in right now.
- A dead person you’d like to talk to and why?
- Go look in the mirror. What’s the first thing you notice?
- What song makes you dance?
- Name a cartoon you loved as a kid.
- Your ultimate feast?
- Had any collections as a kid?
- What super power do you wish you had?
- Go up to your best friend, hand her this notebook and say “write anything about me.”
- How do you feel about gay marriage?
- What’s one thing you’d like to change about your school?
- How do you feel about abortion?
- If you could write a book what would it be about?
- Write about how your favorite book makes you feel.
- Write about how your favorite movie makes you feel.
- Write about how your favorite song makes you feel.
- Write a letter to your future husband.
- Write about what’s on your mind.
- Write about your elementary school.
- Write about middle school.
- Write about high school.
- What is your dream job? Write about it.
- What is one goal you have?
- What degree do you want in college (if you’re going), and why?
- What is your favorite color? How does it make you feel?
- List 20 things that make you happy.
- What’s your favorite recipe? How do you like to make it?
- Write about an odd holiday and how you would celebrate it.
- What’s your favorite animal? Why?
- Are you confident about how you look? Why/why not?
- Favorite T.V. show? Why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
- Which fiction book/movie do you want to be true?
- If you were to die tomorrow, who would you spend your last day with? Why?
- What is one quote that inspires you the most?
- Are you introvert or extrovert?
- Things you can’t live without? Why?
- What is the first thing you notice about the opposite gender?
- If you were to spend the rest of your life with one person, who would it be? Why?
- What would you change about your physical appearance?
- What would you change about your personality?
- Describe one of your friends.
- What did you do today?
- If you could learn any language which would you choose?
- Five ways to win your heart?
- Something you feel strongly about.
- A book you love.
- Bullet your whole day.
- Things you want to say to an ex.
- What are your views on mainstream music?
- Five pet peeves.
- What did you eat today?
- Your family.
- Five guys you find attractive.
- What did you wear today?
- What is something you always think “what if…” about?
- What is something you’re proud of?
- Five items you lust after?
- What are your fears?
- What is your view on religion?
- A time you thought about ending your life.
- Write 30 interesting facts about yourself.
- What was a moment where you felt the most satisfied with your life?
- Discuss your first love and first kiss.
- What is your earliest memory?
- What are your favorite Tumblrs?
- Your beliefs.
- How have you changed in the past two years?
- Goals for the next 30 days?
- Your highs and lows of this month?
- I was…
- I am…
- I think….
- I wonder….
- I wish….
- I save…
- I always….
- I cant imagine….
- I believe….
- I promise….
- I love….
- What is the weather like?
- Where do you work?
- What is your favorite season? Why?
- What is your favorite place outdoors?
- Your hobby.
- What are your chores?
- In the garden…
- What makes you giggle?
- Something pretty?
- What is your favorite city?
- 10 facts about the city you live in.
- Favorite person.
- What is your favorite poem?
- Use the letters of your name to spell out characteristics
- What was the last movie you saw?
- 10 reasons why you love something/someone/someplace.
- 10 favorite songs.
- Who inspires you?
- What would your perfect world be like?
- What are some things you are looking forward to?
- I will not be defined by…
- Say thank you to someone.
- Happiness is…
- How do you love?
- What are some different roles that you play in life?
- If you could design the house of your dreams, what would it look like?
- If you could scream something at the top of your lungs right now, what would it be?
- What does this season feel/smell/sound/look/taste like?
- When was the last time you went out and just played?
- Who am i?
- What would you do with three wishes?
- I wish someone told me…
- Do you believe in fate?
- What was the best you ever gave?
- What is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for you?
- What do you love most about where you live?
- When you think back to your childhood, what moment first comes to mind?
- What makes you glow?
- Which song do you have on repeat right now?
- How do you make decisions?
- What were you doing this time last year?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- When you close your eyes and imagine yourself as passionate, giddy, inspired and joyful… what are you doing/creating in that moment?
- What am I taking for granted?
- What brings you joy?
- What sparks your creativity?
- What do you never want to forget?
- What kind of goddess are you?
- What are you crossing your fingers for?
- Why did I do that?
- What three words would someone use to describe me?
- Do you have a recurring dream? What is it?
- What are your favorite days of summer/winter filled with?
- What have you found lately?
- On my walls I would write…
- Have you had a hug today?
- What is something you don’t understand, but you want to?
- How can I be kinder to myself?
- If you had a free day with NO restrictions, what would you choose to do?
- What is your latest obsession?
- What gives you hope?
- What’s on your to-do list this week?
- What is the truth?
- What makes you you?
- What is the last good book you read?
- What was my worst hairstyle experience to date?
- What keeps me awake at night?
- What was the last brave thing you did?
- What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- If you could do it all again, would you change anything?
- When I look into my eyes I see…
- Do you believe in fairies?
- Are you afraid of change?
- Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?
- What’s the most sensible thing you’ve ever heard someone say?
- What gets you excited about life?
- What life lesson did you learn the hard way?
- An important person in your life.
- What’s a secret wish you have?
- What masks do you wear?
- A word. (open the dictionary and pick one at random)
- The things I love about my life are…
- What are your thoughts on cosmetic or plastic surgery?
- Describe someone who you would consider a hero.
- What effect does music have on you?
- Describe your daily routine when you get out of bed in the morning.
- What five traits do people first notice when they meet you for the first time?
- List 3 things that went right (or wrong) today.
- If you could tell they world just one thing, what would you say?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- What would you do if you were president of the United States?
- You have an extra $100,000 to give away; you cannot spend it on yourself. What would you do with the money?
- What qualities make a best friend?
- What is something you do well?
- What is something you are optimistic about?
- What do you think if 3D movies?
- What do you think about people who are inconsiderate of others?
- What do you think of someone who has bad manners?
- What do you think of people who take advantage of others?
- What do you think about when you cant fall asleep?
- I wish I had a million… Then I would….
- I wish I on… because…
- I wish I could forget the time i…. because…
- I wish I could see… because…
- I wish I could learn…. Because…
- I wish I had enough money to….
- I wish animals could… if they could then….
- If all my wishes came true, I would…
- Think of a teacher, relative, or adult that you respect and want to impress. What is it about that person that makes you want to do well for them?
- Would you rather live in another era or culture? Explain.
- Have you ever felt lost? Literally or figuratively? Explain.
- Describe your bedroom. How does it describe you?
- If you could spend an hour with the president, what are 10 questions you would like to ask him?
- Describe your favorite band/artist. What makes them so great?
- How do you feel about using humans in medical research?
- What book setting would you like to visit if you could?
- In what ways do you sometimes wish to act to be a better friend, but don’t? Why do you find yourself unable to do these things?
- Where would you go to relax and why?
- Where would you most like the watch the sun come up? Why?
- What are some colors you see the most in your everyday life?
- What are things that you wish people knew about you without your having to tell them
- If you suddenly gained the ability to tell whether someone was lying, would you use it?
- What foreign countries have you been to? Which ones do you want to go to?
- Tell about a habit that you picked up from a family member or friend.
- Think of five things that are usually endearing or touching.
- Why do you always do this to me?
- What is your take on soul mates?
- Dear past me…
- Dear future me…
- Nobody know that I …
- How do you deal with anger?
- How easy is it for you to forgive those who have caused you pain?
- What grand adventure do you wish to go on?
- How do you stand out from the crowd?
- How would you describe yourself?
- Who would you trust with your deepest, darkest secrets?
- Did you ever hold an unpopular opinion or belief? With what results?
- 10 popular things that you could not care less about.
- Is there anything you “just know” and have no explainable or rational way to explain how you know it?
- What music album would be used for a movie about your life?
- What’s the worst mistake or decision you have ever made? What could you have done differently?
- Name a totally useless possession and how you came to acquire it.
- If you invented a device that could fix one problem you are facing right now, would you use it? What problem would you like to solve?
- Have you ever carved your name or initials into a tree or stone?
- What has inspired you to hold on when all looked lost?
- How are you feeling today?
- What are the qualities that you possess that make you so wonderful?
- Name something you lost or gave away that can never be replaced.
- Would you rather live a short life full of wonderful memories or a long life with no significant experiences in it?
- If you could do one thing with no one finding out, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite quote? What do you think it says about you?
- Do you like how people see you?
- Have you ever fallen out of love?
- What’s your favorite number?
- If you were a crayon what color would you be?
- Do you have any tattoos? Do you want any? What do they mean to you?
- What is your definition of beauty?
- What’s the best present you’ve ever received?
- What’s your favorite part of your body?
- Do you have a best friend?
- Would you rather have a relationship with love or one with sex? Why?
- Do you want to get married?
- Do you want to have kids?
- Have you ever cried for no reason?
- What is your favorite month?
- Are you too shy to ask someone out?
- Are you missing someone?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- If your life was a game, what game would it be?
- What would you say is your most prominent physical feature?
- What is your relationship like with your parents?
- Do you have any nicknames? What are they?
- What is the worst injury you’ve ever had?
- Do you believe that first true love never dies?
- What kind of person are you?
- How can you prove your love to someone?
- Do you have trust issues?
- Are you good at holding back your tears?
- Have you ever experienced being hysterical?
- What would your dream date be like?
- Two people you want to be with right now.
- How do you do your hair/makeup? Why?
- Write about your first crush. Who was it?
- What would you name your kids if you have any?
- What is your opinion on cheating on people?
- Get something off your chest.
- When was the last time you cried?
- What do you think about most?
- What’s a sound you hate? Love?
- Do you have any strange phobias?
- Do you prefer being behind the camera or in front of the camera?
- What was the last lie you told?
- Do you believe in karma?
- What is your greatest weakness? Strength?
- Are you easy to get along with?
- Name something that makes you happy.
- Name something that makes you furious.
- What do you say in an awkward silence?
- What was your longest relationship? Who was it with?
- When was the last time you really laughed?
- How many people can you tell just about everything? Who are they?
- What do you miss most about childhood?
- What is your middle name? How do you feel about it?
- Does your name define you?
- What is your favorite word? Why?
- What is your favorite Disney movie?
- Which is your favorite Disney princess? Why?
- Favorite time of day?
- Do you like your style? Do you want to change it? What would you change it to?
- If you had the option to be rich and famous would you take it?
- Who are you closest to?
- Describe the best day of your life so far.
- Write a letter to someone contemplating suicide.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
- What do you worry about the most?
- What’s your favorite song? What does it say about you?
- What do you want to do with your life?
- What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had?
- What has been your favorite concert you’ve ever attended?
- How do you think people see you?
- What would pop into someone’s mind when they hear your name?
- What has changed in the last year?
- What were the highs and lows of this year?
Choose your list based on your preferences 🙂
As you can see, there are three differents lists, for up to three years of journaling!
Have fun and comment below which list you are going to be using!
– do not take 8 am classes
– dont take 3 hr classes that only meet once a week
– when u write an essay pick out the quotes/examples u want and write the essay around it
– email ur teachers and meet with ur advisors regularly
– TRIPLE CHECK YOUR ALARMS
– bring tupperware to the dining hall to smuggle out extra food
– dont wear your lanyard around your neck
– try to group your classes together in back-to-back time blocks. you wont want to go back to class once you get home
– STAY ON TOP OF YOUR HOMEWORK EVEN IF THERE ARE OPEN DUE DATES
– when walking on the sidewalk keep all the way to the right especially if your pace is slow
– yes, sometimes we can hear the music through your earbuds. we really don’t care or mind
– try not to eat a whole bunch after 10PM, especially fatty foods like pizza or lots of pop. you’ll get stomach aches in the morning
– nerd clubs are 100% okay and there are tons of students who share your interests with you, you just have to look
– take out the fucking trash
P.S. Bring a fan and don’t spend all your on-campus money. Its useful during finals.
Before you register for your classes, you can check what other students think of certain professors on ratemyprofessor.com to avoid getting those not-so-good instructors lol. Every instructor has a different way of teaching, and it can affect your learning.
the perfect list -people always told me not to take 8ams and I avoided them my entire freshmen year
first term my day started at 12 and ended at 4 though – I noticed I would stay up late and waste half the day sleeping and miss lunch, it’s way more productive for me to at least start at 9 or 10
*I thought that this post was so good on Miss Literati, that I’d share it! THIS IS NOT MY POST*
Being a new writer can be very intimidating. From people telling you that getting published is impossible, to comparing your work to others, we completely understand if you are unsure about whether or not you want to pursue a career in writing. That’s why we listed do’s and don’ts that will help all new writers in the beginning stages of accomplishing their dreams!
Practice. A lot of writers get discouraged in the beginning because they think, I don’t write well. But the truth is, authors like John Green and J.K. Rowling didn’t write as well as they do now when they first started! Practice really does make perfect. Before you delve into writing a novel, practice first by completing writing exercises.
Edit. Editing is super important when writing a novel. You could have the most original idea ever, but if publishers see tons of grammar errors then they won’t even give your novel the time of day. Some tips when editing are to edit as you write, and to print out your works and read them in hard-copy form. If something looks odd to you in regard to punctuation or spelling, don’t hesitate to look it up to make sure the grammar is correct.
Write What Interests You. A few years ago, vampires were popular. Now, dystopian novels are the big trend. Don’t feel pressured to write about the latest trend. Not only will being passionless about the material stop you from writing to your full potential, but also it will make something you love feel like a job. Write about what you know and always stay true to yourself and your writing style.
Don’t Listen to Haters. Whenever someone tells you that it’s impossible to get published, don’t listen because it’s not true. Sure, it could take years for your novel to be published. But with the right idea, an editor and a literary agent, it is definitely possible!
Don’t Let Negative Criticism Discourage You. On Miss Literati, we offer users the chance to receive feedback on their stories from others. But sometimes, the feedback could be negative. If every writer stopped writing because of a negative critique or review, then there would be no books to read! Writing is extremely subjective, which means that not everyone likes the same writing style, theme or genre. Instead of feeling discouraged, take the criticism and see if it could be constructive.
Don’t Start Off Too Big. So, you’ve decided that you’re going to start off by writing a full-length novel. This could be a bad idea! Writing a full-length novel is a super hard task. It involves researching, outlining, creating characters, plots, sentence structure and more! Starting off with a novel could make you feel overwhelmed and could force you to quit before you even really begin. We would suggest starting off with short stories or poems. You never know, a short story or poem could inspire a future novel!